
Autumn 1912 — A few weeks after Mississippi Normal College opened its doors to the public, a handful of students and a young science professor turned athletic director took to a grassy corner of Hattiesburg and wrote the school’s first line of gridiron history. On October 13, 1912, the Normalites met the Hattiesburg Boy Scouts at Kamper Park and, before a throng of classmates who had walked the mile or so from campus, delivered a 30–0 victory in four brisk quarters of eight minutes apiece. It was the debut of football in Hattiesburg’s Normal College—and the birth of a program that would one day be known as Southern Miss.
The Grounds: Kamper Park, Home Field of the Normalites
There was no on-campus stadium in that first season; the Normalites made Kamper Park their home, a city recreation ground that would host the team’s contests until a campus stadium arrived two decades later. School historians agree: every game of 1912 was staged at Kamper Park, the crowd pressed along the touchlines of a simple field carved from public green space. The park’s role as a makeshift coliseum knitted the new school to its new town, and it remained the program’s home ground until 1932.

(The pavilion at Kamper Park today. It was built in 1908 and is one of the only original items from the original park still standing today.)
Mississippi Normal’s inaugural schedule was modest—three dates, all local or regional opponents, and all in Hattiesburg.
- Oct. 13 — Hattiesburg Boy Scouts: A decisive 30–0 win christened the program. The Boy Scouts themselves were coached by Claude Bennett, a figure who would later become president of State Teachers College, the school’s second name.
- Oct. 19 — Gulf Coast Military Academy (Gulfport): The Cadets from the Coast nicked the Normalites 6–0 in a tight return to Kamper Park—GCMA’s lone recorded contest that fall.
- Nov. 5 — Mobile Military Academy (Mobile, Ala.): The season closed with a 6–0 home victory, giving Mississippi Normal a winning mark, 2–1, in its infancy.
Those three tilts, set against fellow preparatory and military academies and a civic side, reflected the reality of early Southern college football: schedules stitched together by proximity, rail lines, and acquaintance as much as by conference obligations. (Southern Miss would not join a league until 1931; its earliest years were independent by necessity and design.)
At the center of it all stood Ronald J. Slay, a Purvis native and a young man of many hats. Appointed by the faculty as athletic director and tapped to organize the new game, Slay served as the college’s first head football coach for that single 1912 season, guiding the Normalites to their winning record. His service to the school extended well beyond football—he would later coach basketball and baseball and serve as an administrator in the 1910s and early 1920s.

(Serengetti Springs Water Park and Hattiesburg Zoo are now located inside Kamper Park, where the Mississippi Normal Normalites once played)
The Eleven: Names Lost, Impact Lasting
If the season’s scores survive, most of the roster’s names do not. Early student newspapers and ledgers from that autumn are sparse, and official rosters for 1912 have not been preserved. University exhibit notes and timelines emphasize that athletics began as a student-formed association—football organized from the ground up, quite literally—with Slay providing the structure. The absence of a tidy media guide for 1912 is its own kind of testament: this was football as community enterprise, stitched together by enthusiasm more than institution.
From that first 2–1 return, Mississippi Normal would continue to play as an independent through 1930 before joining the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association, and the sport would grow with the school’s evolution from Mississippi Normal to State Teachers College, to Mississippi Southern College, and ultimately to the University of Southern Mississippi. The field would move, too—out of the city park and onto campus, culminating decades later in the stadium now known as M. M. Roberts Stadium, “The Rock.” But the cornerstone remains that October afternoon in 1912, when a new school, a new team, and a new tradition met on public park next to where the Hattiesburg Zoo is today and made history.

(M.M. Roberts Stadium today, aka “The Rock”.)
